Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Angie

Pet Finder Link Angie is my Black Lab/Border Collie Mix who was a rescue. This is a photo of Angie at three months old when we first brought her home. Angie's mom, a border collie, was rescued by a fantastic group of people in a tri-state area who take in abandoned, abused and neglected pregnant dogs from all over the United States. Angie's father was, it would seem, a black Labrador retriever. I found this group (and Angie) through the link I have posted above, (Pet Finder). As most of us are experiencing first hand the downturn in the economy, so too are our pets. Shelters are over flowing with pets turned over by owners who simply do not have the means to feed another mouth. This is in addition to the millions of animals that are left to roam and breed. So many end up in shelters only to be euthanized. I am sharing Angie's story in an effort to urge those who may have the ability and the heart to open their homes to one abandoned dog or cat. You will be especially blessed by the animal angels if you can save just one! When I decided to open my home, as heart is always open to animals, I searched the Pet Finder site. This is where I saw Angie's picture along with a little Angie "Bio". The rest is history. Angie has added much to our family dynamics. Of course she is now a 50 pound bundle of energy and as well as very smart. She is still a puppy at nine months so we still have to deal with many "Marley" like antics. They can be very humorous.......and sometimes not. We have been through one round of obedience school but will need a refresher course. Our manners are still not quite up to par nor do we always know our own strength. However, she is true to form, a retriever. This has worked out to my advantage and she is now my doggie office assistant. I will explain. My printer is located in another part of the house from where I work on my computer. Each time I print, the printer makes that printing noise that printers make, and she quickly caught on that something mysterious floats out of this machine wherever she hears that noise. I was awe struck to watch her sheer delight as she sat perched eking little noises of anticipation of what was to come. What I did not anticipate was how quickly she could grab and shred in the blink of an eye. Wow, if only my reflexes were half that good. The cuteness wore off as it got to be a waste of paper and ink. So, I thought, maybe I can put this ability of hers to good use. This was how (Angie) doggie office assistant was born. It only took me two training sessions, (of course with treats in hand) to teach her how to gently remove the paper from the printer and without so much as one toothmark, make her delivery. So now, as soon as she hears the printer rev up, she is there waiting to retrieve and deliver. This is just one example of her intelligence. There are many homeless animals like Angie, that would make a wonderful family addition. I wanted to share the Pet Finder site to get the word out that Pet Finder is a good place to go if you have the inclination to save a life. I might just make a video of doggie assistant to post on YouTube.....Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sophie - The "alpha" dog

Sophie - The "alpha" dog
Dog that fits and sits on Windowsill